Drivers of older vehicles will be charged to enter the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) in central London. The ULEZ began on 8 April 2019 and is designed as a 24/7 traffic management and emission reduction scheme. It replaces the T-Charge and operates within the existing Congestion Charging zone (CCZ).
Where is the ULEZ zone?
Currently the ULEZ zone covers the whole of Central London, including Clerkenwell, the City of London, Lambeth and Marylebone.
In 2021 the ULEZ will be expanded to cover the entire area between the North and South Circular Roads.
You can check which areas fall within the ULEZ charging zone with this post code checker.
What are the charging times?
The ULEZ will be in effect midnight to midnight, every day of the year.
Who is affected?
The vehicles which are affected by the ULEZ are:
- Motorbikes that do not meet Euro 3 standards (pre-2007 vehicles)
- Petrol cars and vans that do not meet Euro 4 standards (vehicles pre-2006)
- Diesel cars and vans that do not meet Euro 6 standards (vehicles pre-2015)
- Buses, coaches and lorries will need to meet or exceed the Euro 6 standards or pay £100 a day
You can check if your vehicle is affected by the ULEZ with this online vehicle checker.
What are the charges?
The ULEZ daily charges are:
- £12.50 for vehicles under 3.5 tonnes such as cars, motorcycles and vans. (Such as any of the vans that we hire)
- £100 for vehicles over 3.5 tonnes such as lorries, and for buses/coaches which are over 5 tonnes. (We do not hire anything above 3.5 tonnes)
This charge will be replace the old T-Charge, but will be paid on top of the weekday congestion charge and the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) charge.
Any discounts or exemptions?
Pace Van Hire offer both vehicles that are exempt from the ULEZ and those that are subject to the charge.While no discounts or exemptions will apply to any vehicle you have hired should it not meet the standards, you can qualify for a discount or exemption to the ULEZ if you fall under one of the following categories:
- Residents living with the Congestion Charging Zone, and who are registered for a Congestion Charge discount will be granted a 100% ULEZ discount until 24 October 2021. From this date residents with a non-compliant vehicle must pay the full daily ULEZ charge.
- ‘Disabled’ or ‘disabled passenger use’ tax class registered vehicles will be exempt from the ULEZ charge until 26 October 2025, as long as they do not change tax class. From this date all non-ULEZ compliant vehicles in these tax classes will be liable for the daily ULEZ charge.
- Non-resident Blue Badge holders will not be exempt from the daily ULEZ charge and can only receive a discount if the vehicle is registered with DVLA with a ‘disabled’ or ‘disabled passenger use’ tax class.
- London licensed taxis are exempt from the ULEZ.
- Designated wheelchair accessible Private Hire Vehicles will be exempt from paying the daily ULEZ charge until 26 October 2025. However, the PHVs will only be exempt when carrying out a private hire booking for a TfL-licensed PHV operator.
Vehicle Hire – does ULEZ apply?
When hiring any vehicle for driving in London, you need to ensure the vehicle is ULEZ compliant and if not, that you have paid the daily charge.
If you are looking for a van to help you get around London and are concerned about ULEZ compliance, get in touch with us at Pace Van Hire. We’ll help you explore the various options and find the best vehicle for you and your needs. Give us a call on 020 7277 9853 and we’ll take it from there.