Today, technology is advancing more than ever with the recent introduction of AI to our everyday lives. A new type of speed camera is currently being trialled in the UK, and it has bought with it questions and concerns. In this blog, we explore the addition of AI speed cameras to our roads, and answer some of the most common questions surrounding them.
What is an AI speed camera?
Redspeed has introduced a new form of speed camera to our roads which is operated by AI. The camera uses 4D radar to not only detect speed, but also to determine if drivers are using their mobile devices and reveal how many people are inside the vehicle. The camera, which can be linked to the DVLA and UK police databases, has the ability to monitor six lanes of traffic at one time and uses solar power energy to ensure it can run efficiently 24/7.
Where are these AI speed cameras located?
At this current time, Redspeed’s AI speed cameras have only been placed in one location. This is the London to Brighton route on the A23 in Lambeth. However, if the trail goes well and the response is mostly positive. there could be plans to roll out further installations of solar-powered AI cameras across the UK.
Do AI speed cameras issue penalties?
For now, there will be no penalties as a result of offenses caught by the AI speed camera. This is purely because the camera is still in its trialling phase. However, if predicted plans go ahead and the cameras become a permanent fixture on our roads, the following penalties could be expected:
- If using a mobile device whilst driving: £200 and up to 6 points on your licence. New drivers could face a driving ban.
- Driving over the speed limit: A minimum of £100 fine and 3 points on your licence.
- Too many passengers: A fine of anything up to £2,500 and 3 points on your licence.
- Failing to wear a seatbelt: A minimum fine of £100.
- Running a red light: A fine between £100 and £1000, and 3 points on your licence.
- Driving without a valid MOT: A fine of anything up to £1000.
- Driving without valid insurance: A fine of up to £300 and 6 points on your licence.
At PACE Van Hire, we care about your safety. For any information on safe driving, or to find out about the hire vehicles we have available, get in touch. We are here to help keep life on the road simple and safe.